Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Day 96 - Crater Lake

Monday July 20

I tried to sleep in this morning, but the excitement of seeing my son Paul and his friend Nick got me on the trail at 5! It is almost 16 miles to Mazama Village, so I estimated I'd arrive at noon. 

The trail was fairly easy with only a few climbs. A portion passed through a burnt forest. The morning sun was striking.



I got into a rhythm while hiking and arrived at Mazama Village at 10:30. I was really surprised that there was no cell phone service!



No-tent had just arrived so we had lunch together at the Annie Creek restaurant. Kinetic also joined us, since he was waiting for a hiker box to arrive. 

Paul and Nick arrived around 2:30. We headed to Klamath Falls and stopped at the local grocery store to get some snacks. We also got steaks and salad for dinner. 

Paul had reserved a bread and breakfast house for us, but we needed to wait until 4:30 to meet with the owner. We stopped at the Klamath Brewery and had a beer! The IPA was good enough that we brought a growler with us. 

The BnB was wonderful. Here is a picture of the lady that owns the place.



I was able to do laundry and take a shower while Paul and Nick made dinner. We had an amazing salad along with barbecued steak. My brother Ron sent along several beers which we enjoyed during and after dinner. The Black Diamond Pizza and Deli cheese cake was heavenly!

Many, many "thank you's" to Tara, Kathy, Ron, and everyone else who sent care packages. I now have camp shoes, spices and goodies!

It was wonderful sitting in the shade and watching a hawk fly overhead, humming birds at the feeder, and deer with a little faun wandering across the lawn. It has been an amazing day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, so happy to hear that you and Paul successfully connected! And that the cheesecake arrived safely. :-) It was hard to keep that secret while talking with you on the phone.


    I'm chuckling to myself that you are finally seeing a deer at Crater Lake! Ha!


    Scarlett and I both arrived in A Coruna safe and sound, if exhausted. Since we went to sleep so early, we're both up before 5am, LOL! And breakfast doesn't begin until 8. Today is the day to explore the town before others begin arriving.


    Love ya,


    Valorie


    PS: Hi again Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob I've been following your blog from the beginning. What an adventure - very inspiring! Your trip to my home town of Klamath Falls finally prompted me to post a comment. It sounds like you are staying strong and having a great time. Good luck and happy hiking on the last third!

    ReplyDelete