Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day 101 - Three Sisters Wilderness

Saturday July 25

The camping in the PCT hiker area at the Shelter Cove Resort costs $8. I guess it covers the cost of potable water and the use of the outhouse. Otherwise, we were told to walk to site 33 and find a flat spot in the woods. I must say there were a lot of flat spots and I didn't have any problems with critters in the night. However, the nearby train did go by at 2 AM and blew its whistle, waking everyone in camp. I figure that my $8 showed support for their efforts to assist through hikers. 

I packed up at first light, and hiked the road and side trail a mile until it rejoined the PCT. The trail climbed 1,200 feet over the ridge and repeated this as it crossed several other ridges. 

The views were sparse today because the trail stayed mainly in the forest and because it was mostly cloudy. There is a 30% chance of rain tonight. 

I love Saturdays when there are others on the trail. I talked to several groups about my through hike and it was fun telling about my adventure. One gentleman was so interested that he is going to check out my blog! The conversations put a new bounce in my step. 

I took a break at Charlton Lake and replenished my water. It was warm in the sun.



Soon I walked through another area burned by a lightning caused fire. The fire was called the Charlton Fire and it burned over 10,000 acres. The fire happened almost 20 years ago. When I looked around all I could see were burnt trees in every direction. The good news is that young trees are beginning to grow and pretty wildflowers were everywhere.



I just entered the Three Sisters Wilderness area. I decided to camp at Brahama Lake since my feet and legs are tired. It's rather windy and chilly tonight, and I am already wearing my down vest.



I am camped at PCT mile 1939.3. I hiked 26.5 miles today (plus a one mile road walk). The elevation here is 5,697 feet. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you found a pretty little lake to camp by! It rained a bit here on Friday night, but has been dry for the rest of the weekend until now. Hope that you are far enough south to avoid the rain!

    ReplyDelete