Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day 91 - Ashland

Wednesday July 15

A town day is so energizing and at the same time worrisome. I love getting clean and enjoying town food. On the other hand, there is the uncertainty about getting to town and finding a place to stay. Perhaps that is why I couldn't sleep very well last night. 

I ended up last night stealth camping in the woods because I couldn't find an established campsite along the trail. It was windy until dark and then calm but cool. I had to wear my wool cap and my down jacket. I also had to set up my tent because it was wet from dew from this morning. During the night I heard snapping branches and chewing sounds near my tent. Perhaps because it was so quiet that I heard all of these noises. 

I was on the trail at 5:15. It was easy hiking and I got to see a ruby-red sunrise. I didn't know it, but I have been traveling in the Rogue River National Forest. The Rogue River flows by the town of Gold Beach, the city where I was born. I also got a nice view of Mount Shasta.



I caught up with Windscreen and we hiked together for the morning. We reached the highway at 8 AM, and walked to Callihan's resort. Waiting there was Caboose and Cut-Finger. They were trying to hitchhike into Ashland, but there was very little traffic. Cut-Finger called the taxi shuttle and we all got a ride to town for $18. By the way, I heard that Willie was staying at Callihan's. Hmmm. 

In town, we all decided to have breakfast at the Morning Glory restaurant. The breakfast was fantastic. I had a sausage omelette with spinach and cheese.



I checked in at the Ashland Motel which was next door to the restaurant. I did my laundry and showered. I called my son Paul, who plans to fly down with his friend Nick to Crater Lake to meet me on Monday afternoon. That should be exciting! I really look forward to it! I just have to average 25 miles a day to get there on time!

This afternoon I walked to the local sports supplier and bought food, sun gloves, and sunglasses. My sunglasses broke last night, and my sun gloves were starting to fall apart.  

I also got snacks at the local grocery store. Dinner was at the Mexican restaurant just up the street. The burrito and beers hit the spot. 

Tomorrow will truly be a day of rest. My feet will appreciate it! 

I have been looking for a barber shop, but I can't find one, unless I want to go to a hair salon. I guess I'll just have to use a razor and my scissors to try to trim (hack at) my unruly beard!

I am currently at PCT mile 1726.5. 

1 comment:

  1. As is your youngest child! Jealous that Paul gets to go see you! I wanna go! I wanna go! (Imagine me stomping my feet and pouting as I say the words very jealously) I have to settle for delivering a care pack to Paul (who then can deliver it to the man of the year) from all the followers in a little town called Woodinville..
    dad, I am very jealous of Paul and him getting to fly down and deliver some trail magic. However Monday's are always my sleep day due to the medicines I have to take on the last day of work to kick my health in the butt and try to reverse its thinking. But as I gathered the "magic" that will be delivered to you on the trail, I kept hearing how cool it is that you've already gotten so far and that you are doing it... At all!!!! They ask about your progress and are always interested in how you are doing and all the ups and downs of your journey. Like them, I am so very proud of you and have become an even bigger inspiration to me. Not that you hadn't inspired me before by so many of your traits but just such a HUGE journey alone! It takes a lot of strength in many different areas! I hope the trail magic is kind to you and if there are any personal requests just let me know and I'll do my best! I love you Dad! Hope to see you when you get closer to the trails in this neck of the woods 😉😘

    ReplyDelete