Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Day 97 - Flying High

Tuesday July 21

With the arrival yesterday of my son Paul and his friend Nick, I didn't think a day could get better. But today was superb!

I managed to "sleep in" until 6:30.  Once up, I packed my backpack and loaded up with 4 liters of water. 

Paul was already up having fixed coffee and cantaloupe. Both were tasty. Paul said the deer had visited again and the little fawn had spots. I took one last picture of the house, which is called "Country Treasure".



We had a great breakfast in Klamath Falls. I enjoyed a Denver omelette with country fries. 

Now for the best part. Nick took us up in his airplane!  We flew over Crater Lake and followed the PCT northward all the way past the Three Sisters. I used my phone app (Guthook's PCT) to show us where the trail was relative to the airplane. It was fantastic!



When we returned, we headed back to Crater Lake. We stopped at the Rim Village where we had a great lunch eating the goodies sent by my brother Ron. I boiled water and we heated stew, pasta and corn soup. They were all fabulous. We also had muffins. For dessert I had the last piece of cheesecake!  Paul and I shared a beer.



What a splendid way to celebrate! They dropped me off at the trailhead and I headed north. I felt sad having to leave such good company, but I have miles to go before this adventure is over!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who helped make this visit so wonderful!

I managed to hike for three hours on the Crater Lake Rim trail. Of course the lake is beautiful!



I camped at the Grouse Hill camp at 5:30. I am at PCT mile 1843.2. I hiked 9.1 miles today. The elevation here is 6,646 feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment