Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 95 - Mosquitoes

Sunday July 19

As I mentioned yesterday, the Sky Lakes Wilderness has a reputation for lots of mosquitoes. When I got ready to go, I didn't have any problems. I was on the trail at 5 because I wanted to have a good day of hiking. I had to use my headlamp for a while because it was so dark. 

As soon as it was light, however, clouds of the little beasts attacked. It was like King Kong on the Empire State Building with the airplanes circling. I was King Kong and the mosquitoes were the airplanes. I couldn't out-walk them, and they seemed to know when I was going to swat at them. I finally had to put on my mosquito head net in order to keep my sanity. A few managed to get under the net, but they were swiftly eliminated. 

The onslaught continued for over ten miles. Once I stopped to get a drink of water and forgot I had the net on. The water dribbled down the front of my shirt. When I stopped for a break, they would cover my pants. A few managed to bite through my sun gloves!

Although the trail went through the forest for most of the morning, I did see these pretty flowers. Does anyone know what they are?



By afternoon the trail started climbing towards Devils Peak. As soon as it did, there were no more mosquito problems. Thank goodness!

Near the top, I noticed I had cell service. I called my wife and told her about the awesome view of Mount McLaughlin.



The trail finally headed down after reaching 7,300 feet. I was happy to be headed down!



I wanted to hike far enough today so that I would reach Crater Lake by midday. It is 15.6 miles to the highway to Mazama Village. 

I hiked 30.5 miles today!  My feet are tired!

I am camped at PCT mile 1813.9. The elevation here is 6,200 feet. 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! What an amazing journey! Your words make me feel like I'm on the trail with you. I'll be going about my day and wonder where the trail has taken you that day and at night hoping and praying you are safe. You are doing great!! Keep on going!! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so thoughtful of you to call me, Bobby. It was so good to hear your voice. I got a junk call here, so my cell phone is working in Spain, which is amazing. Probably expensive though. I'm glad to hear that the mosquitoes didn't eat you alive. Love ya, Valorie

    ReplyDelete