Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Day 41 - Resupply in Independence

Tuesday, May 26

I knew today was going to be a day for leaving the high Sierras and walking out to the Onion Valley trail head. Willy, Carlos and I needed to get to the town of Independence in order to get food for the next section of our hike. 

We all packed up and hit the trail at 7 AM. I had to carry my tent bundled on top of my pack because the water vapor from my breathing had frozen on the inside of the tent. This has been a problem several times because there is not enough air circulation at night. This was the view from my tent site.



We took the Kearsarge Pass trail. I knew nothing about this trail, other than it led to the Onion Valley trail head. The views were spectacular.



I got a picture of Willy as we headed up to the pass.



As we got higher the views back to the mountains were tremendous.



Within two hours we reached the pass at 11,760 feet.



We needed to arrange a ride from the trail head. It is 13 miles to Independence. Unfortunately the person who we tried to call wasn't answering their phone. We proceeded to go down hoping to find a ride. 

We went down and down and down and down. It took us two hours of fast down hill hiking to get to the trail head. I am very concerned about having to climb back up this trail when we return in a couple of days. On the way down we saw Double Happiness (Casey) and Dirty Bowl. 

When we got to the trail head, there were two guys loading up their truck. They offered us a ride to Independence!



When we got to town, we were walking by the post office. I asked a man standing there where the Courthouse Motel was located. He gave me directions, but said that he was the owner of the Independence Inn and could give us a good deal. He even offered us a ride!



We accepted his offer. Willy and I are sharing a room. Carlos has to head home and was going to hitch hike to Lone Pine. 

We all showered and then had lunch at a nearby Mexican food cart. The food was marvelous!

Jim Getzinger, the owner of the Independence Inn, then offered us a ride to the town of Bishop. Wily needed some gear and we offered to buy Jim his dinner in return for his generosity. 

I got a replacement tip for my trekking pole, some warm sleeping socks and a new fuel canister for my stove. On the way back we stopped at the Courthouse Motel to pick up my resupply package. 

I have to say Jim runs a great establishment and I am highly impressed with his willingness to help PCT hikers!

18 comments:

  1. So amazingly good to hear from you again, Bobby. I'm reading these in order, and hope all really *is* well. I love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}. I hope it got better. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are feeling better. However, skipping Whitney is a big step. Patti called me the other day worried that you *had* to climb it, and was relieved to hear that it was a choice. I know you wanted to do it though. But it will still be there next year, and the year after. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks gorgeous! If cold. Stay warm! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to hear that you conquered Forester Pass! Weeeeeeee! So you don't have to worry about altitude so much anymore; you've reached and passed the highest point. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't eat the snake?! Hahahaha. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to hear that you can choose between water sources. I hope you are actually *drinking* the water! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to hear that you got the boxes. I've been on tenterhooks, never knowing how fast you are going, and whether the boxes will be there for you. You are so far ahead of schedule I was frantic to keep on track. Love ya, <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read all that you uploaded -- do you realize that five days are missing? Did you climb Whitney after all? I'm so confused! Hope to hear more soon. Love ya. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of the days are uploaded. However I had to upload several out of order because Blog Press kept crashing on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are multiple passes yet to cross; several over 12000 feet high. I don't understand why I have such a problem catching my breath when others don't. Could it be a side effect of my mess?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bob - the pictures along the trail have all been nice but the ones in this post are STUNNING! Well done on both the pass AND the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, not all the posts are up, according to your titles. Days 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40 are not there. It was so good to get a text from you today! Best of luck back on the trail, Turtle Bob! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO SO SO happy to be reading updates from the trail!!! But I put myself in your shoes about reporting and hoped all was good as you're on an incredibly tiring journey! I'm reading in order as well and hope you are feeling well, your feet are fresh and safe! I love you, Pops!

    (Gotta go read the next update!) 😜

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spring IS on its way! Remember Dad, June is only a couple days away. Soon it will be HOT! It seems like a eternity when you have to curl up in a ball just to try to stay warm. Maybe you can get to a nearby town and take a extra long "zero". Take it from me that your body is trying to tell you something. My goodness Daddy you've walked over 740 miles!!!!!! Read that part again... 740 MILES! My body aches just thinking of that! Take a little rest Daddy, the trail isn't going anywhere! I love you!

    a

    ReplyDelete
  16. So relieved you decided the skip Mt Whitney! As mom said and I agree that I think it's going to be around for awhile 😉 it still is a crazy feat you are doing, as I get asked nearly daily how and where you are. I think you may have inspired my co-worker and her husband to do the Wonderland trail this summer! You always have been an inspiration to me and now to people who have never even met you! Just like all the school kids a few days back. You keep on giving me hope that it's not too late to write a chapter of inspiration in my life story, too. Keep it up Daddy! You can do it! 😘


    a

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm still voting for the extra zero days in a nearby town, Dad. The scenery IS awesome, why not stay and rest a little? You look so skinny! Eat more Fritos ☺️ Congratulations on hiking over the pass! I think if I were you I would just want to take pictures all day long, build a big bon fire, and eat nothing but s'mores for two days straight! That's what my plan would be!
    Do you think you may have altitude sickness? Or a combo of being exhausted with your medicines is making you light headed? Should I call Dr. Jordan? She knows about your hike (was talking about you at my last visit) and may have insight into what's up... Now go eat something skinny man!

    Love you, Dad!

    Little a

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kennedy Meddows is one of the key stops for the character in the movie "Wild" (Reese Witherspoon play the lead role). I don't think she started in mexico like you did, but she didn't have to sleep on the ground for the first time in weeks and was so happy to take a shower!
    I wanna know what you think of the movie when you get back. Maybe we should make a "Wild" date night and you can tell me all the places they filmed!!!

    I love you pops!
    a

    ReplyDelete