Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Day 24 - Aqua Dulce & Vasquez Rocks

Saturday, May 9

The Action KOA campground offers lots of services to hikers. However, the hiking community is only a small part of their business. Last night it was very difficult to sleep. First, all of the PCT hikers were bunched together, so naturally there was talking later than usual. Second, we were camped right next to the highway, so we heard traffic noise. Third, there is a train track on the far side of the camp. The train passed by three times during the night and, of course, had to blow its horn. Finally, there were late arriving car campers who made noise until 1AM. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

I packed up when I heard No Trace and Unbreakable packing. They left about 15 minutes ahead of me. This was the PCT hiker tents as I left.


I caught up with them within a half hour and I then hiked on ahead. There were some fantastic rock formations.


After a while I saw a freeway in the distance. It was interstate highway 14. The trail went under the freeway through a tunnel.


It was so dark in the tunnel that I couldn't see my feet or the path. I stubbed my toe on a large rock. Fortunately no permanent damage was done.

The treat for today was to visit the Vasquez Rocks National Area.


The rock formations were astounding.


Upon leaving the Vasquez rocks, Thea trail goes right through the town of Aqua Dulce. I needed to stop at the store there to resupply.


I needed 5 days of food to get me to Tehachapi. I had a list and the store had everything I was looking for. After packing it up, I walked across the street and had a hearty breakfast. No Trace and Unbreakable arrived just as I was leaving.

The trail followed the highway for several miles and then headed back into the mountains. This is what the trail often looks like as it climbs into the mountains.


I met three new hikers today. Ciera camped at the KOA last night and we leap frogged each other most of the day. She is in her twenties and lives in Colorado. She carries a mandolin and likes to sing.

At a spring, I met Dino DNA and Etch-a-sketch. They too are younger and are strong hikers.

By 5:30 I was tired so I stopped, made camp, and fixed dinner. I'm cowboy camping tonight and hope to get a good nights sleep.

I am at PCT mile 468.5. The elevation is 3,987 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment