Friday, May 8, 2015

Day 22 - Desert Storm

Thursday, May 7

Last night it was really cold. There was a foggy mist for much of the night and then it cleared by morning. I was wearing all of my jackets except my raincoat.

The challenge today was to get back on the trail. I packed up and left Buckhorn campground at 6:15. I find it hard to hike with a group, camp with them, and then just leave by myself in the morning. But, that's just the way it is. Everyone hikes their own hike.

I decided to walk another two miles on the highway and then take the PCT where it crosses the road. After walking for mile, I noticed I passed another milestone.


Yes, I have now hiked 400 miles.

I noticed these unusual plants growing under some pine trees.


Of course the desert is still in bloom. These yellow flowers seem to love to grow in the sand.


By mid morning I entered a burn zone. There are signs warning about the dangers during high winds. Trees that were burnt but still standing can suddenly topple over.


The photo below is what I often see along the trail.


All day long I was trying to find the right combination of jackets to stay warm. Just wearing my raincoat over my shirt was too cold. And often wearing my flannel and raincoat was too warm. I ended up wearing the flannel coat with just two buttons buttoned.

By late morning the wind really started blowing and unfortunately the trail was heading higher into the mountains. I could see a storm was on its way.


I tried to hurry along the trail, but often had to pause when a huge gust of wind whipped through the burnt trees. I could see them swaying back and forth. It was a good thing I was cautious because I saw a huge tree sway, snap, and crash down the mountain just 100 feet in front of me! This is a picture of the area where it happened.


My goal today was to get to the Mill Creek Fire Station where there is a reliable source of water. I arrived just after 3PM and the wind was howling. I founded a semi-sheltered spot behind the bathroom and cooked dinner.

I decided to carry 5 liters of water tomorrow because the next reliable source of water is the Action KOA campground, about 25 miles down the trail.

I headed up the trail looking for a place to camp since the clouds were thickening. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. I found a spot about a mile up the trail and fought the wind as I set up my tent.


The wind is gusty. A minute ago it was hailing. It is going to be a long night. I hope my tent doesn't blow away!

I am camped at PCT mile 419.8. The elevation here is 5,221 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment