Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 19 - Up into the mountains again

Monday, May 4

Day to day travel on the Pacific Crest Trail through the desert is highly influenced by the availability of water. The trail north of Cajon Pass has a dry stretch that is over 22 miles long. Before leaving Cajon Pass, I took 5 1/2 liters of water to get me to the next reliable water source. I was carrying 11 pounds of water!

My strategy for this section of the trail was to carry a Subway sandwich (no cooking water required) and I planned to leave very early in the morning to avoid hiking in the hot sun (requires less drinking water).

I left the Best Western at 2:30 AM and was back on the trail by 3 AM. This is the first time that I have hiked with my headlamp. It was odd just seeing a tiny spotlight of the trail as I passed through tunnels under the interstate highway and the railroad.

Occasionally I would see the red reflection from the eyes of some creature before it disappeared into the night. Once I almost stepped on a dove that appeared to be sleeping on the trail!

The sunrise was spectacular.

Morning sunrise above Cajon Pass

As I followed the trail higher, I noticed that fog had filled the valley.

Fog fills the valley below

This section of the trail rises in elevation continuously for almost 20 miles! It was a real test of my through-hiker trail legs.

The starting elevation was 2,950 feet at the tunnel under the freeway at Cajon Pass. The highest point reached twenty miles up the trail was 8,400 feet. That's a gain of 5,450 feet (over a mile)!

Another strategy I used this time was to drink a liter of water every 5 miles. That meant that I stopped about every two hours and drank a liter of water whether I was thirsty or not. I did this because I didn't want to carry extra water weight. My pack got lighter the further I walked. The strategy worked well.

By late morning I reached an area that had been burned in 2009. One of the plants that tends to grow after a fire is called the "Poodle Dog" bush. The leaves of this plant cause severe skin irritation if touched, similar to poison oak.

Poodle Dog Bush - causes severe skin irritation similar to Poison Oak

It was difficult sometimes to avoid it because it often grows right next to the trail.

By 1 PM the trail finally leveled off at 8,400 feet. There were marvelous views of the desert to the east.
View to the east at the top of the mountain

By this time I realized that I could make it to highway 2, the road into Wrightwood. I called the Pines Motel from the trail and reserved a room.

I made it to the highway at 3:30. A car was coming, I stuck out my thumb, and they stopped! Wow. What good luck.

The man lived near Wrightwood and he gave me a tour of the town. I plan on staying two days to rest my feet and to gather my resupply for the next section.

I am at PCT mile 374.5.
I walked 32.5 miles today!

1 comment:

  1. valoriezimmermanMay 4, 2015 at 9:52 PM

    Wow! 32 miles in a day is just amazing. Especially carting all that water along. So glad you found a way to drink enough to stay in good health. And good for you for taking days off. <3

    ReplyDelete