Sunday, May 3, 2015

Day 17 - Hot Springs, Dams & Lakes

Saturday, May 2

I was back on the trail by 5:45 and watched the sun rise over Deep Creek. In just two miles I reached Deep Creek hot springs.

The heated water runs into pools and eventually into Deep Creek. Since it was only 7 AM, there was little activity in the pools. This is what I saw as I slipped into the hottest pool.


This guy looked to be stoned on something and probably had been in the pool all night. The water was like a bathtub. I was careful not to put my head under water since there have been reports of brain eating amoebas that can infect a person through the nasal cavities. I soaked in the pool for half an hour and then dried off.

This is another pool with another guy who appeared to have been in the water for a long time. He took the "no clothes" option.


Sorry folks, no X-rated photos of crowds of naked people to share.

The trail continued to follow Deep Creek down the canyon. At one point the trail crossed over the creek on a rainbow-colored bridge.





The bridge made me think of the fabled "Rainbow Bridge" where all of my pet-friends will be waiting for me.

As I neared the end of the canyon I rounded a bend to see the Mojave Forks Dam.


The trail eventually led to the base of the dam and crossed Deep Creek. The creek finally runs into a tunnel at the base of the dam where it appears to enter an aqueduct.


For much of the afternoon the trail followed the contours of the hillsides in what I would call the "green desert".

At one point I could see an aqueduct and irrigated pasture with cattle.


Soon I rounded another corner to be astonished by this sight.


It was a massive dam of rock and concrete holding in the waters of Silverwood Lake, 73,000 acre feet of water. The water in Silverwood Lake comes from the eastern aqueduct that crosses the Mojave Desert. The water is pumped up to the lake and then passes through the San Bernardino Tunnel. It emerges on the south side of the mountains at the Devil Canyon Power Station.


After walking to the far end of the lake, I stopped at the Cleghorn Picnic Area where I fixed mashed potatoes with cheese and Fritos for dinner. I filled up with water and headed up the trail for a mile where I made camp for the night.

Today was a great day: no back pain and no issues with blisters!

By the way, this is what my feet look like every time I change socks.


I am camped tonight at PCT mile 330.3, elevation 3586 feet.

5 comments:

  1. I hope the hot water helped your back and those poor feet! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on 300! Sorry this one was published so late. I forgot it was my night with my daddy. I hope the fixed pack and snack give-away will help your back. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were home and it was back in the days when I was still living at home, I can only imagine there might be a request for a foot rub? Maybe even with lotion cause those puppies look like they are about to start barking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you got creative with some masking tape, you might be able to write a message on your feet by covering some small portions of the mesh on your shoes! I'm glad to hear that your back wasn't an issue yesterday. Enjoy the trek today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 300 already!! Good for you and beautiful pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete