Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Day 70 - Feather River Canyon

Wednesday June 24

In the evening, I often review my maps to see where I will be hiking the next day. To my surprise, the trail dropped from 5,100 feet to just over 3,000 feet. We were going to drop down to the Middle Fork of the Feather River. 

Willy and I were on the trail by 5:30 and made excellent time due to a clear trail and several miles of downhill. We reached the river just before 9. The bridge was amazing. The bridge is the largest equestrian bridge on the PCT. It was carried into place by helicopter. 




The trail over the river is at 3,076 feet, the lowest elevation on the trail since the Los Angeles Aqueduct. Of course, what that means is a long climb back up. The long climb was 3,000 feet!

On the way up, we crossed Bear Creek on another well made bridge. There were three other through hikers there, also getting ready for the long climb. 




It took several hours and Willy and I stopped a couple of times to get water. The springs are well marked on the map, but they are further apart now. Many are off trail, which means extra hiking. 

The hiking was harder this afternoon because the temperature was in the mid-80's. I was drenched in sweat. I was thankful for the buff that Patti gave me. I would soak it in the stream before putting it on. The cool water around my neck helped cool me down. 

Whenever the trail crosses a road, I look to see if perhaps a trail angel is there. I'm dreaming of juicy watermelon! On the way up to lookout rock, we saw a sign posted by a local trail angel inviting hikers to their cabin. Neither of us had cell service, so we couldn't call. However, when we reached the Big Creek Road, there was a trailer with treats. I had a root beer and an apple. It was wonderful!

After a break, we got extra water and dry camped. I took a sit-bath and feel so much better!

Now for a peek into what I do to set up camp. First, I always make sure I have water. I usually get it before stopping for the evening. 

I next select a flat campsite. Hopefully it's one that has been used before. I also try to find one in the shade. There is nothing worse than trying to relax in a tent that feels like an oven inside. I set up my tent and weigh down the stakes with rocks. I don't want them to pull out if the wind comes up during the night. 

I then unload my pack, putting my mattress, sleeping bag, extra clothes and ditty-bag in the tent. 

I set up my stove, get out my dinner, boil the water and add it to the dehydrated food in my gallon plastic bag. I also make a cup of hot chocolate at the same time. 

While the food is rehydrating, I blow up my air mattress and lay out my sleeping bag. I also hit the "OK" button on my SPOT device.

By this time my food is ready. I find a comfy place to sit and enjoy my meal. Since I never cook food in my stove pot, I put everything away. I keep all of my trash in a gallon Ziplock bag and store it in my food bag. 

Everything then goes into the tent. I try to clean up and then get busy writing my blog. Hopefully I'm asleep by 8. 

I am camped tonight at PCT mile 1269.7. We hiked 26.8 miles today. The elevation here is 5,580 feet. 

11 comments:

  1. Interesting commentary on water purification- thank you, that's helpful!

    I agree with you, the Mariposa Lily's from an earlier entry are simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you have made the Spot and your blog a daily habit. It really helps my peace of mind to know you are safe every evening, and sometimes what you've been seeing and experiencing. Please keep doing those things, as well as eating, drinking and resting enough! I love you, Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that you are still purifying the water, and didn't carry out your threat to just drink whatever you found, untreated. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The damn gnats sound brutal. At least they don't bite! I found one place in the garden where black flies are biting, which is horrible. Those bites itch for a week! Mark and Janice sold their house, so they will be gone by the time you get home. I'll miss them. Love you, Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was quite odd to celebrate Father's Day without you, Bob. Know that we were thinking of you. I hope you found the photos of your present from me. Although I've used it a couple of times, the lawn is now golden, and I expect it to stay that way for at least the next couple of months. Oh, well. Love ya, Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Mariposa lilies are lovely! Good to hear that you are drinking extra water. Love ya, Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep it up, Dad! It sounds like you've been trucking along this past week. Are you feeling like you've still got your mojo?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have my MOJO and seem to have more energy. It helps to get more town food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear. Your blog posts sound like you're enjoying it more than you were a few weeks ago. Glad to hear that you've got your trail legs back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw it! Is it easy to use?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's easy, and so quiet! I hope you love it as much as i do. However, Since I last wrote, the lawn has not grown one bit. So it's growing cobwebs in the garage, waiting for your return.
    Love, Valorie

    ReplyDelete