Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 60 - Bobaroo got his Mojo back

Sunday June 14

I was hiking up a long climb. A young lady named "Twinkle Toes" was 200 yards ahead. She is a strong hiker. Yet, I was gaining on her!  As one hiker stated as I passed him on the trail, "Bobaroo, you got your mojo back!"

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday I was ready to quit the trail. Today I'm happy and loving it! My legs felt strong all day. I was able to make the climbs with relative ease. I don't know what the difference was between yesterday and today, but I hope every day is like today. 

The mountains are almost all volcanic rock. The peaks are lovely.



One of the peaks is called "the nipple".



About four miles down the trail, we saw a sign that said, "Trail Magic 300 Steps". When Willy and I got there, we were treated to sodas, pulled pork sandwiches, pasta salad and chips!  It was wonderful!  


The terrain now has more rolling hills with forests, meadows and lakes. There are fewer streams than in the high Sierras, but water hasn't been an issue yet.



When we got to Carson Pass, the Information Center had snacks, drinks and fruit for the PCT hikers!  More trail magic!



We hiked for another couple of hours. We passed several meadows. This one had a couple of buildings.



We found a nice campsite near a beautiful lake. We have 9 more miles before we reach our next resupply point, Echo Lake Resort or South Lake Tahoe. We get to sleep in an extra hour tomorrow morning!

What a wonderful day!

I am camped at PCT mile 1084. The elevation here is 8,781 feet. 

7 comments:

  1. Soooo good to hear your voice on the phone, and to hear about your continued adventures! Will you be sending your umbrella home since you aren't using it? I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you figured out a solution to "sleeping cold". That sounds not restful, and it uses calories too! You need those calories for hiking energy. Do you think you are getting enough B vitamins? You're used to eating whole grains and veggies, and not getting much of either, I think. Love ya, Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have *your* mosquito net! And I'm glad to hear that you have DEET. Is it working for you? I love you, Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are gorgeous! So the iPhone is doing a good job. Are you wading the creeks with socks and shoes on, then walking through snow with wet feet!? I can't imagine doing what you are doing. But gosh, you are walking through beautiful country. I love you, Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to ask about your camera so, I am really glad you covered it here. Valorie is right- absolutely gorgeous pictures, Bob! I find some images stick with me long after I've read one of your blog entries- like the old growth tree on Day 48, that's a stunning image if I've ever seen one! Stay safe and keep 'shooting', keep sharing and by all means, keep walking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like the sun gloves (treated with permethrin) as bug barriers too. They are a tad dirty ver time as you mention though!

    -GoalTech

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on the phone. Try Pro HDR app. It's wonderful for high contrast challenges with many outdoor pictures. You have to hold very still though when using it. Check it out.
    -GoalTech

    ReplyDelete