Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 59 - Trail Angel "Legend"

Saturday June 13

"I'm ready to quit the trail!" I threw down my pack and slumped to the ground. 

What should have been an easy morning of hiking had turned into a nightmare of trying to put one foot in front of the other. My legs seem to be getting weaker as time goes by, not stronger. 

And then "Legend" showed up. He had juice, beef stew, rice and bread!  He served us as if we were special guests. He has been a trail angel since 2002, and he was there to bring comfort when it was most needed.



He doesn't know it, but he just kept a hiker on the trail, at least for one more day!

I knew right away this morning that something wasn't right. I was following Willy when we came to a small hill. Willy seemed to easily walk up it, but I immediately fell behind. I couldn't keep a steady pace and fell further and further behind. Just before noon, I was really struggling. Willy was no where to be seen. Mentally, I was beat and ready to quit the trail. 

A man walking up the trail said, "You must be Bobaroo. Your friend is waiting five minutes down the trail." When I got to where Willy was, I met Legend. 

I wish I knew what was wrong with me. I don't have a fever or stomach problems. I've had a runny nose since I started this hike almost two months ago, but that doesn't seem to have any correlation to my energy level. I am baffled. 

This afternoon we hiked for a few more hours before Willy made me stop to camp. I hope more rest will help me for tomorrow. 

There are many beautiful flowers blooming.



And the views are still wonderful.



I am camped tonight at PCT mile 1055. The elevation here is 8,460 feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment