Friday, June 19, 2015

Day 63 - Where's Willy?

Wednesday June 17

Leaving town is always hard. I think it's the food - so good, so yummy, so many calories! Willy and I had breakfast at Bert's Diner before Lailani, a local trail angel, picked us up and returned us to the trail. The help given by trail angels is immensely appreciated. They take time at a moments notice to help complete strangers! Wow!

We headed up the trail at 9. We passed by Echo Lake Resort, which was busy with tourists. There were also a lot of day hikers on the trail. Some were very interested in our through hike, asked a lot of questions, and even took our picture. In this picture you can see both upper and lower Echo Lake.



The trail was pretty easy hiking, but there were a number of trails leading to lakes. On one stretch of the trail, there was a long uphill. I happened to be leading the way and would often pass day hikers. I try to check back every so often to make sure Willy is still within sight. Just after I passed the trail junction to Aloha Lake, I looked back and couldn't see Willy!  I figured he had stopped to get water or to heed the call of nature. I waited and waited and waited some more. Where was he?  

I checked and discovered that I had phone service, so I called him. No answer. 

After waiting 20 minutes, I decided to walk slowly down the trail. Willy is a fast hiker (faster than me); surely he would catch up. I hiked for an hour and still there was no Willy. 

Finally I was talking to a couple of ladies along the trail and happened to mention my predicament. To my surprise, they said, "Oh, we saw him about half an hour ago. He was coming onto the trail from the Aloha Lake trail. He is AHEAD of you!"

Oh my gosh! How could this have happened? Now Willy is racing up the trail trying to catch up with me and has no idea that I am behind him. 

I hiked as fast as I could and kept looking ahead to see if I could spot him. However, with a 30 minute head start, he could be more than a mile ahead. I finally decided that I might have to hike into the evening an check the camping spots along the way. 

Finally as I was scurrying up a hill, I spotted him in the distance! I yelled as loud as I could, "Willy!" He heard my screaming! 

His explanation is a plausible one. He had fallen behind and slipped on some rocks. When he looked up, he didn't see me.  At the trail junction to Aloha Lake, the sign showed that both trails went by the lake. He took the other trail, and I never saw him take it! I guess if something can happen, it will. Fortunately it all ended well!

The only significant climb today was over Dicks Pass, a climb of 1,200 feet. There were good views from the top of the lakes below.



By 4:30 we were both tired. Willy is not accustomed to his new backpack, and I am still breaking in my new shoes. We found some suitable campsites about a half mile from Fontanillis Lake. 

I am camped tonight at PCT mile 1111. The elevation here is 8,361 feet. 

Oh, by the way, did you notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment