Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Day 67 - Sierra City

Sunday June 21

Happy Fathers Day! Every year I have been going to the annual "beer festival". My family will be there this year too. They promise to drink a toast to the dad on the trail!

Last night two interesting things happened. First, I think I pitched my tent over an ant colony. Somehow they kept finding their way into my tent. I kept unzipping the screen and tossing them out. It was annoying, to say the least, to feel one crawling across my arm as it was getting dark. 

Second, in the middle of the night, I was awakened from a deep sleep by some animal outside the tent. I was so deeply asleep that my muscles wouldn't move, and all I could do was make a slurred "Get out of here!"  Fortunately, the beast ran off before I could move around to see what it was. Needless to say, I was wide awake for a while!

Willy and I were on the trail by 5:30. We had a five mile walk to the Plum Creek campground, and then a three mile road walk to Sierra City.



We stopped at the Red Moose Inn for breakfast and also rented a room for night. The two story building in the photo is a restaurant and an inn.



I did our laundry at the RV park. The local grocery store had adequate supplies. I bought enough food for four days on the trail. 

I bought a deli sandwich for lunch and had a hamburger at the Red Moose cafe. We had dinner across the street at the Buckhorn Cafe. Did you notice that I had two lunches? Yum!

I had a great Father's Day. I had several Rogue "Dead Guy" beers and I even got to soak in the tub to remove the dirt from my feet!

We offered to share our room with some other hikers, but did not get any takers of our offer. 

I was informed that it was "hike naked" day, but by the time I realized it, I was already in town. Sorry, no naked hiking pictures!

We are staying in Sierra City, at the Red Moose Inn, approximately at PCT mile 1197.5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment