Thursday, April 2, 2015

Two weeks before start – tying up the loose ends



In two weeks, this shadow will be near the Mexican border heading up the trial!

Two weeks before I am on the trail!

The days seem to be flying by and I can barely catch my breath.

Things that I need to do keep popping into my head at the most random times. I'll be walking along a trail in the woods and think, "Oh my, I need to call the bank and have them put a note on my debit and credit accounts so they'll know to expect activity from many of the little towns along the trail".

Unfortunately, later, when I have some spare time at home, I'm racking my brain trying to remember my "need to do" list. "What was that I thought about on the trail this morning?"

I sat down today and made a list of all the things I need to do in the next 14 days. I now have a FULL PAGE of things to remember to do. Some are "last minute" tasks like getting extra cash, putting the wall charger for my phone into my pack, packing my medications, and putting new batteries in my head-lamp and SPOT device.

Other tasks are things that must be done soon. I want to label my extra gear that I won't be taking, but might need to be sent to me. The idea is to avoid confusion regarding which item I need. For example, I know what my Sawyer Mini-filter is, but would by resupply person know? If I put my water filter in a plastic Ziploc bag and give it a number, I can simply say, "Send me my mini-filter, which it item number 10." My resupply person won't have to guess which is the filter; they just grab the bag with the number 10 on it and put it in my next resupply box.

This past week has been wonderful as I have continued my training hikes. I am still averaging over 20 miles per day and wonder if I am getting close to having my "trail legs"?


I thought it might be nice to close out this post with a few pictures from the past week.

A few days ago I saw my first raccoons! I have often seen their tracks on the trail, but had never actually seen them. This little guy climbed up in a tree.
Raccoon peering down at me

I also was lucky enough to see the elk in the early morning light.
Elk wonder who could be out and about so early in the morning

And, in two weeks, I will miss seeing these wonderful sights:

Sunrise in the "enchanted forest"
Trees embrace the trail; a tunnel in the forest.
A pond and meadow as seen from the forest
Mount Rainier in the early morning light

I am tying up the "loose ends" and eager to take the first steps in my Pacific Crest Trail adventure.

It's just two short weeks away!


2 comments:

  1. Great photos! I'd say you definitely have your trail legs! :-)

    -GoalTech

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Michael - great photos! We'll likely meet on the trail, I also start on 16 April. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete