Thursday, April 23, 2015

Day 8 - What we do on our day off

Thursday, April 23

A week ago I started my hike. It's amazing that I have already covered 150 miles.

Tomorrow we leave at 8 and will be walking an alternate route on the trail due to a trail closure. It will add an extra day to my hike.

This morning everyone in our cabin walked to town and had breakfast at the Red Kettle restaurant. Everyone uses their trail names and I met several other through hikers.





We all then walked around town but soon realized that most stores did not open until mid-morning.

Back at the cabin. "G'had" wanted to have everyone review the contents of his pack. He ended up sending about 5 pounds of gear back home.



He had also bought some special socks with toes, because he had been suffering from blisters between his toes. Unfortunately his shoes were too tight, so he headed out to buy new shoes.

Others in our group bought resupplies and spent time going through their gear. I got out my tent and repaired my guy line that broke in the wind.

G'had also bought a tarp and I helped him get it set up.





I walked to the store with Unbroken and bought food for a spaghetti dinner tonight. I cooked Italian sausage and helped make a fresh salad. I bought Sangria which went well with the dinner.

I still can't believe how wonderful it has been here in Idyllwild. I have come to really enjoy the people and look forward to getting on the trail again.

One more look at our beautiful cabin:



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a peaceful day off. Good luck tomorrow! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, Dad, I'm very jealous of how much you are doing! Meeting new and great friends. Staying at a beautiful place that was a giant surprise to score. Getting to have a new place to discover and then plan a yummy dinner where everyone pitches in and appreciates everyone else's help and addition to the cause. It's sounding like a fairy tale vacation/journey. But, if I honestly sit here and try to think of absolutely anyone else in the entire world I've met.... It's you. I genuinely hope your entire PCT experience is full of stories like the one you get to write now. I hope you are getting all of it in more detail than you get to put here on your blog. That's another one of your talents I adore, your writing. I still hold dear the stories you wrote when I was a wee one to edit for an English project when I was a homeschooled. Or was that when I was home sick for something else? The story about the straw....there was another story, too!!!...... (It's been a long day.... Sorry if I recall the past like a 97 year old amnesia patient). Anyway, enough of me. I love you, Daddy. Have a wonderful dinner and sleep well for the continued fast pace on the trail.

    Love you,
    Your little A

    ReplyDelete