Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 5 - America the Beautiful

Monday, April 20

A day like today is what makes through hiking so amazing. I left Barrel Springs just before sunrise and witnessed an amazing transformation of the landscape. I was now in rolling grassland, complete with gophers, hawks, and butterflies.


I entered a grove of giant oak trees and said "good morning" to Rasputin who had found an awesome campsite and was just about to leave. I hoped to see him later down the trail.

I then spotted an amazing sight in the distance. It was Eagle Rock.



I took the side trail and tears came to my eyes. Here in this beautiful county was this amazing rock formation.


The trail dropped down through groves of giant oak trees and a refreshing stream cascaded beside the trail. I was in heaven!

Soon I made it to Warmer Springs to pick up my first resupply box. My first stop, however, was at the Community Center.





They cater to all of the hikers, providing hot food, showers, laundry, water, wifi, and rides to the Post office to pickup resupply boxes. I quickly sat down to a yummy breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes and a glass of orange juice. I then headed to the shower, which was barely warm but wonderful in removing days of sweat and grit. I even washed my shirt and underwear!

As I was walking back to where I left my pack, the local sheriff asked if anyone needed a ride to the post office, which was a mile away. Four of us crammed into the back seat and got our resupply boxes. The sheriff waited for us and gave us a ride back. What great service.

This is what the camper area looked like.



I left Warner Springs around noon, but had to return when i remembered that I hadn't paid for all their services. By 12:30 I was back on the trail. This is what it looked like as a group of us headed towards the hills in the distance.


I spent the rest of the day hiking back up into the high desert hills which you can see in the photo above. What makes this more difficult is carrying 6 liters of water (about 12 pounds) in addition to carrying all of the new food supplies.

I hiked until I crested the top of the hill and made camp. Tomorrow I have another 7 miles to the next reliable water supply.

It amazes me that every day I see beauty that brings tears to my eyes. I'm so thankful to witness all of this.

I'm camped tonight at mile 122.1

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Do you feel like the trail is home, now? It seems as if you are really starting to feel a part of it. And mile 122! You are trucking along. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I now have the "reputation" of being a fast hiker. I think the 2 1/2 hours on the treadmill every day made a HUGE difference in my ability to go long hours up the grade.

    ReplyDelete