Monday, April 20, 2015

Day 4 - The Real Desert

Sunday, April 19

I cowboy camped last night and LOVED IT! When I first made camp the coyotes started yelping. I yelped back. It seems like forever since I looked up at the stars. I saw shooting stars and satellites. And on the morning it was so easy to break camp.

The trail up from Scissors Crossing is notorious for being hot. This is the real desert. I loved the barrel cacti.


The plan today was to make it to the water cache, which was about twenty miles up the trail. Although the trail climbed steadily, it was a gradual climb. I love my hiking shirt and pants because they are well ventilated. I made 11 miles by ten so I kept a good pace.

At the water cache I met Rasputin, Full Roll and Phantom. Full Roll got his name because he always carries a full roll of toilet paper!

I ate my lunch-dinner at the cache and then headed to Barrel Springs, the next reliable water source. It was a nine mile hike through the heat of the day. I paused at Billy Goats cave.


Just before getting to Barrel Springs, I hit the 100 mile mark!


I like the sign posted there.


To top it off, when I got to Barrel Springs, there was trail magic awaiting. I got a beer and a chocolate pancake!


Tomorrow is an 8 mile hike to Warner Springs. I hope to get a shower there, a real breakfast and pick up my first resupply package.

I am camped tonight at mile 101.2.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you are slowing a bit. It sounds like you are really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the first 100 miles!
    It looks like you are starting to get the swing of things.
    Exciting times ahead. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm! Beer! Congrats on the first of 26 100 miles, Dad! Watching and waiting on your posts everyday. Stay safe and happy😉 love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on making the first 100 miles! Very impressive to be averaging 25+ miles/day. I hope you're enjoying the journey and scenery. It looks like you're already more than 1/2 way to Palm Springs! I remember riding through the mountain range NW of Palm Springs when we did our big motorcycle trip years ago. It was beautiful country and I'm sure you'll get to enjoy it more than we did from the road! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Steve. I hope to start hiking with a couple who are "Triple Crowners" - they have hiked the PCT, CDT, & AT, and are doing the PCT again. They have a wealth of knowledge to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably will go slower now that I have joined a group. They keep a good pace, but not as fast as I was doing. My daily miles might drop, but it's fun talking with people who know the trail. "No Trace" is helping me to adjust my pack so it carries better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snakes seem to like to keep away from people. I have only seen a few and have had no "close calls".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are they edible? Catch a few and add them to my creamy mashed potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes they are, except the end of the tail. ...careful catching them though. ..:)

    ReplyDelete