Sunday, April 6, 2014

Living my dream



Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life.
You don't have to live forever, you just have to live. - Natalie Babbit, Tuck Everlasting


In the movie, Tuck Everlasting, the idea of living forever is explored. It becomes clear that there is a cycle of life. It moves in a great circle. There is a beginning. There is an end. But for life, it is a cycle.


I love the idea that we won't live forever. BUT, we should LIVE life. My wife had the "Holstee Manifesto" framed and posted. It ends with, "Live is short. Live your dream and share your passion."


Now that I have my equipment (pack, tent, food, sleeping bag, stove), I am looking forward to getting my body strong enough to walk twenty miles a day with thirty pounds on my back.


I felt the weight today.
I felt the struggle.
My feet hurt.
And I was only three miles into the walk!


But, the wheel of life is turning.




Debbie with her new pack

Debbie got a new pack. She wore it for the first time today. And she did really well. 

Patti and I both agreed that she looks like an "official" hiker now, with her trekking poles and all.



We hiked for over two hours this morning. Saw a single elk in the large grassy field, but the dogs scared it away before we could get close enough for a good view.

We scrambled up the "steep" hill near 288th street. Patti asked whether the PCT had hills like this. I had to admit that there were.

Patti and I both found golden eggs that Debbie had hidden earlier in the week. Inside was a "Jungle of Money" scratch ticket. Patti's was not a winner. But, I won five bucks! Score!


Pausing to enjoy Ravensdale Creek


It was soothing walking along Ravensdale creek.

I love the sounds.

I love all of the greenery: the ferns, the moss, the hiding trillium.






These days make me feel I am beginning to live my dream. 
I won't live forever, but I am avoiding the unlived life.

















No comments:

Post a Comment