Saturday, May 17, 2014

I need a Crystal Ball

Total Walking Miles this past week (Monday 5/12 - Friday 5/16):  90.7 miles
Total Training Miles Today (Saturday 5/17): 15.7 miles


We changed our walking start time to 6, since it is getting light now by 5:30. Patti arrived shortly after I did, and her first words were, "What did you tell Brody about our hiking?" Brody is her boss, who works at Edward Jones Investments. I had been in the office earlier in the week reviewing my investments, and I had mentioned my desire of walking the Pacific Crest Trail. Of course, Patti has always talked about wanting to walk the trail. And, at that, Brody said, "Well, why don't you take a 5 month leave of absence?"

I wish I had a crystal ball and could see the future. I would be SO fun to hike he length of the trail with one or both of my hiking buddies. But, realistically, I know how difficult that would be. And scary. There are so many unknowns. Everyone thinks we are too old; that it's too late for us to do something that hard. On the other had, I read the stories of those walking the trail (even as I write this), and they are struggling, sure, but they are doing it. They are finding a way. And they are making memories of a lifetime!

We had a good walk today. We saw the herd of elk again... It's always fun to watch them. In addition, we saw a deer in the field. We call her "Our Deer Friend".
Our deer friend in the field beside the road.
We decided to walk the trail around Frog Lake, since we were fairly sure that the water level was low enough to walk on a mostly dry path. The forest was SO green as we headed to the lake. Bud was lagging a bit today, but managed to keep with us most of the time.
Trail to Frog Lake. Bud was lagging a bit, but managed to keep up.
 At Frog Lake, there are a pair of geese that must have a nest somewhere close by, because they kept making "honking" noises and refused to fly off as we walked along the lake.
Geese must have a nest somewhere close by.
I just love this spot on the trail. It looks out over Frog Lake. Just before I got here, a large bull frog jumped into the water, making a loud splash.
Yellow flag flowers growing around Frog Lake.
When we arrived at Lake Sawyer, we saw a mother duck and her little tiny ducklings. They were roaming in search of bugs.
Mother duck and her ducklings at Lake Sawyer. I noticed there is a beer bottle floating here as well.
Who would toss something like that into the lake?
 We talked a lot this morning about our hiking gear. On our way to the ladder bridge, we were attacked by very hungry and persistent mosquitoes. Debbie stopped to put on bug spray; Patti put on her coat and put up her hood. She kind of looks like "Little Red Riding Hood", don't you think?
Debbie, Bob and Patti at the ladder bridge.
We made our way back to the car, having spent almost exactly two hours on the trail. I announced to everyone that I plan to retire effective January 1, 2015. Of course, that led to wondering if I should try to walk the PCT next year. It gives me a lot to think about. How ready is ready? Is there a reason to rush into the BIG ONE? 

Oh, where is that crystal ball when it need it?

No comments:

Post a Comment