Monday, May 26, 2014

Tiger Mountain - Poo Poo Point Trail

Walking Time: 4 Hours
Miles: 10.2

It's Memorial Day and I have time to get in another hike.

Today I chose a popular hike on Tiger Mountain. The hike is to Poo Poo Point. It is a funny name, but it is the cleared area high up on Tiger Mountain where the hang-gliders launch themselves.

Poo Poo Point Trail (using the High School Trail)
There are two trails to Poo Poo Point. One follows the Chirico trail from the hang-glider landing strip. It is a shorter trail, but steeper. The other starts near Issaquah High School, and follows the High School trail and thence to the Poo Poo Point trail.

I expected that there wouldn't be too many hikers today, because, like many Memorial Days, the weather was cloudy and threatening rain. I found the small parking lot just off 2nd avenue in Issaquah, but there were already five cars parked there, so I found a spot along the road and headed up the well used trail.

Junction with Poo Poo Point Trail
The first half mile of trail was a bit muddy due to the rain overnight. The High School Trail then starts a slow but constant climb, first following an old logging road, and then winding through dense forest with ferns and mossy trees.
Beautiful ferns and mossy trees
There were a few wonderful streams, and one with a very well made bridge. At about mile two, the trail begins to climb in earnest, and I had to pause many times to catch my breath. It didn't help that the tread was muddy in places, so I had to be careful not to slip.
One of the several bridges. My face was red due to the constant climb.
This was a good excuse to catch my breath!
The trail finally leveled out at the junction with the West Tiger Railroad trail and the One View Trail. Both of these seemed to be climbing higher, so I was excited when I saw that the trail to Poo Poo Point began to descend!
Junction with West Tiger Railroad Grade and the One View Trail.
Poo Poo Point is about one-half mile away.
Within a half mile the trail emerged to the road which led to the Poo Poo Point hang glider launching area. One note, the last half mile of trail goes through dense Salmon Berry bushes. When it has just rained, it is impossible not to get a soaking.

When I first arrived, the clouds were hugging the ground and there was no view.
Socked in and no view - but I was there at Poo Poo Point!

Solar panel and other equipment.

Wind sock at top of tower

Hang Glider Launch Pads

Fortunately, as I stopped to change my shirt, the clouds began to thin giving me some fabulous views of the Issaquah valley and Lake Sammamish.
Lake Sammamish in the distance.

Issaquah valley from Poo Poo Point

The hike back was no picnic either. You need strong legs and good shoes and socks, as the descent is relentless as well. Those with poor-fitting shoes would likely get blisters, so we aware.

I made the round trip in four hours. I spent about 30 minutes at the top getting a bite to eat, taking pictures, and changing clothes. The map indicates that it would be about 8 1/2 miles round trip, so I assume my measurement includes some of the hiking around Poo Poo Point. This is a great training hike. I met a number of people who were running up the trail! I'm not sure how well they did in the muddy areas, but it sure is a good trail to gain endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment