Friday, May 16, 2014

Tiger Mountain Loop - 16 miles

I noticed on the map of Tiger Mountain that it would be possible to do a loop hike, IF I was willing to walk a few more miles.

Me, walk more miles? Give me a challenge, new trails, and time, and I'm off!

I arrived at the trail head at 6:30 and headed out on the Northwest Timber Trail. The grade was easy and the forest was spectacular. Over several of the streams there are sturdy wooden bridges. Birds were flitting from branch to branch. At one point the trail breaks out with a view across the valley.
There are several areas with moss-covered limbs.
I stood under an ancient stump.

One of the many wooden bridges over rushing streams.
Views of the surrounding hills from the Northwest Timber trail.
The Northwest timber trail exits onto the Tiger Mountain Road. I headed north, walking for almost two miles. The road is an easy walk (mostly level) with only one climb. There are several new trails heading up the mountain from the road, but they were not marked.

I finally arrived at the Preston Railroad Trail, which was well marked.
Start of the Preston Railroad Trail. 
I followed the Preston Railroad trail for three miles. It switch-backs up East Tiger mountain with an easy but steady grade. This is a popular trail used by mountain bikers, who travel down the trail. I saw five bikers who were all very friendly.
View while walking up the Preston Railroad Trail.
At the top, the trail exits onto the Main Tiger Mountain Road. I headed west on the road and then headed up a spur road about a half mile to where the Middle Tiger Trail starts.
Spur road leading to the Middle Tiger Trail.
There were some good views across the valley to West Tiger Mountain. Along the top are many cell and radio towers.
View of West Tiger Mountain.
 The Middle Tiger Trail joins to the Tiger Mountain Trail. I had walked this section of the trail last week and it goes by the train wreck site and then exits to the West Side Road 1000. I headed down the road and took the Iverson Railroad Trail back to the car.
Headed up the Iverson Railroad Trail
 The map below shows the route I took (blue line).
The loop route (blue). I walked it counter-clockwise. The distance is about 16 miles.
This hike was mostly easy walking, with a few steep sections. I was pleasantly surprised that the Preston Railroad Trail was an easy grade. The Middle Tiger Trail is the only one I would consider difficult, especially coming down from the top of Middle Tiger to where the trail meets the Tiger Mountain Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment