Saturday, March 22, 2014

Saturday without rain!

I've made the decision to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in 2016. Sure, it's still two years away, but at my age, I need all the training I can get!

Bob with his ULA Catalyst pack
This Saturday started off cold (29 degrees), but at least it wasn't raining. It was just Patti and me this morning, since Deb had to work today. I am always amazed at my pack. I chose the ULA Catalyst pack pack, which is light-weight, strong, and fits me well. I am always amazed at how heavy the pack feels when I lift it up, but how light it feels when I am wearing it. I guess that shows that the pack is distributing the weight correctly.


Today we hiked the bike trails. Met in Black Diamond at 6:15 and headed off on our normal two-hour circuit. We only had to use our headlamps for the first ten minutes because it is getting light earlier and earlier now. We walked to Lake Sawyer and then followed Ravensdale creek to where it meets the Maple Valley highway. We then followed the old train track trail back to our starting point.

I need to find a better way to access my camera. I have been putting it in the back pack belt pocket. I works well as a storage location, but I find that I don't use it when using my trekking poles. So today, I decided to strap the poles to my pack, and carry my camera. Maybe there is a better way to store the camera, so it can be grabbed at a moments notice?
Patti, the dogs, Bridget and Bud, with Mount Rainier in the distance. Almost back to the cars after a good walk.

Nice walk today. We could see Mount Rainier and heard the geese as they were headed to the lake. Ravensdale creek is really running high, with all the rain for the past several weeks. Saw a couple of Mallard ducks swimming in the creek.



No comments:

Post a Comment