Thursday, July 24, 2014

First Solo Overnight Hike

How do I feel about my first solo overnight hike? I feel scared and excited. It is like getting ready to start a race. My muscles are tight; my gut has a small ache.

I got home from a full day of work. I checked my lists and packed my last few items. I am ready to go. I leave at 4:20 and head for Crystal Mountain. I arrived at 5:20.

The trail to Hen Skin lake is reached by following the Silver Creek trail.
I chuckle to myself when I see that the trail goes straight up the hill; no switch backs.
I guess you have to earn your way to the top of the mountain.

The Silver Creek trail leads to the PCT and my destination for tonight, Henskin Lake.
The clouds were hovering above me as I huffed and puffed my way uphill.
But, I was so excited.
My race had started. It felt good!


Henskin Lake above the Crystal Mountain resort
I reached the lake at 6:20. Fish were rising. It was quiet; God's country.

For dinner I had black bean soup, rehydrated with cold water.
I am going stove-less this trip. So far, I love it.

I am snug in my tent now, eager to hit the Pacific Crest Trail tomorrow and test out my body with a day of walking.  Life is good!
My camp site at Henskin Lake.






No comments:

Post a Comment