Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Day 89 - Up 4,472 Feet

Monday July 13

As I lay in my tent on the lawn of the Mid Mountain RV Park in Seiad Valley, I felt uneasy about the upcoming hike. The trail climbs steadily to the top of the ridge, over 4,400 feet, in less than eight miles. I climbed a similar distance when leaving Belden. However, that climb was done over the span of 13 miles. This was a more aggressive climb. 

I left at 5:30. The trail follows the highway for a mile before heading up. There was fog hovering over the valley, which was good, because this climb is very exposed and can be extremely hot in the midday sun.



I liked the fact that the trail headed up all the way, and the early morning fog kept it cool. I passed Cut-Finger and Caboose about halfway up. I reached the top by 9. It's always exciting to reach the top and know a major climb is complete!



The trail followed the ridge-line of the mountains. I forgot to check for reliable sources for water, but was carrying over two liters. Fortunately, a small spring was still flowing, so I got an extra two liters so I could dry camp tonight.



Several places along the trail had beautiful flowers. They look like daisies to me.



By early afternoon my feet and legs were tired, so I camped. I had stuffing with sausage, Fritos and olive oil for dinner. With all that, it still tasted bland. Anyone have ideas to perk it up with something that is lightweight and readily available?

Now for some comments about gear. I wish I could have found some lightweight camp shoes. I didn't bring any. After hiking all day, it would feel so good to get out of my hiking shoes and into camp shoes. In addition, being able to quickly slip on shoes at night would help with bathroom breaks. Lots of hikers bring clogs or sandals. Willie had a trimmed-down pair of slippers that were lightweight and quick to put on. 

I am camped at PCT mile 1685.9. I hiked 23.8 miles today. The elevation here is 6,247 feet. 

4 comments:

  1. Bob, Its funny how some parts of the trail are blur to me and other parts a crystal clear. The part from Seid Valley to Callahan's is very remember able. that was the section I did in two days and did 40 miles the day into Callahan's. also you will be going over the CA/Or boarder. I remember what a relief to finally be out of California. It seemed like it went on for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture of the valley shrouded in clouds! Less than a 1,000 miles to go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet you did the 40 miles thinking of the "all you can eat" breakfast buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fog photo! And you standing in triumph at the pass. <3

    ReplyDelete