Saturday, July 25, 2015

Day 100 - Shelter Cove Resort

Friday July 24

One hundred days hiking the Pacific Crest Trail!  A lot has happened in those 100 days. All of the days in the green desert. The physically challenging high Sierras followed by the equally difficult mountains of Northern California. 

I didn't take many pictures today. The trail from Summit Lake went through the forest and up to the ridge again. I could see the Three Sisters in the distance. 

My goal was the resort on Odell Lake, called Shelter Cove Resort. It was a 17 mile hike and I arrived just before noon.



No-Tent was there, and Cut-Finger arrived a few hours later. I got my resupply box and bought a few extra snacks to get me to my next resupply in four days at the Big Lake Youth Camp. I will need to hike 21.7 miles a day to arrive in four days. 

My biggest concern today was to charge up my electronics. It is likely that I won't have power again until Timberline Lodge, about 9 days from today. The store had an electrical outlet, so I plugged in my battery backup right away. It was fully recharged in three hours. I'm crossing my fingers that it will last until I arrive at Timberline Lodge!

I also hope my stove has enough fuel to last 7 more days. I already have 6 boils from the fuel canister. I should be able to get 7 more (crossing my fingers)! The store didn't have any cartridges for sale, so I will make do with what I have. I called my hiking buddy, Deb, from the trail and asked her to bring a new fuel canister to Timberline Lodge. 

I took a 3-minute shower and No-Tent did our laundry. I should have clean socks now until my next resupply. 

I ate as much store food as possible including a hot dog with all the fixings, a couple of pieces of pizza, a muffin and several beers to pack it all in. I was hoping to rent a room or cabin, but they are all full. I opted to camp in the area for PCT hikers. 

I head back out tomorrow and will be excited to see the Three Sisters Wilderness. 

I am camped tonight at Shelter Cove, PCT mile 1912.8. The elevation here is 4,867 feet. 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it through the 100 day mark! Glad that you got a shower and an afternoon of rest before the next leg of your journey. I'm surprised that you've had Internet connectivity as much as you have this week...hope it continues so we can hear about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep knocking down milestones on your journey- 100 days on the trail is VERY impressive, congratulations! I don't know many people that could actually do that! Thanks so much for allowing us (all) to be along for the ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 DAYS and nearing 2000 MILES! I'll echo the other comments and congratulate you on your incredible feat! Honestly Dad, I don't even drive in our car that many miles in that time period! Truly amazing! You keep giving me hope that one of these days (even if it isn't until I retire from the working world) that a hobby could become a life enriching experience to share with my loved ones, too! Not discounting your working at Boeing for a career of nearing 40 years!!! That impressive in just the sentence itself.... But you give me hope that I can find this kind of hobby to inspire myself to do something like you are doing now! That might sound dumb or weird but it is seriously giving me hope that maybe one day I'll be able to travel around the world and dig for gemstones and make a life for myself maybe somewhere in that hobby??...... For when I finally pull myself together and actually take the next step. Like YOU! My inspiration! My hope! And it's so hard to get to point A to B sometimes not knowing if you'll have enough water, or FOOD! Or power for your electronics. I don't know how to say it really, Daddy. You inspire me every single day! Every! Day! Thank you for being you and doing things your all out, perfectionist ways that gives me little joys in seeing the simple yet perfect things in my life and try to make my little life workings perfect as I can make them.
    Sorry to ramble on so long, I know you need to preserve battery life for the next long leg of the trip! I love you! I admire your strength and courageous spirit!

    Hope to hear your voice soon,
    little a to the e, to the z to the j!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeni,
    It is so wonderful to see you commenting! You and your sisters mean so much to us (as a family then and even the years when everyone was busy with life and everything) but so happy a re-connect happened! 100% honesty, you and your sisters were the ones I looked up to and wanted to be identity you three. I wanted to be the 4th sister. And you guys did a wonderful job of including me in so much. Two words for you for being my childhood idol.... Thank you!
    You three will always mean so much to me. For ever and all time!
    Love you Jeni!

    Little anne 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic to read both this blog and the comments today! One hundred days, Bob! Congratulations on your accomplishment. I'm glad to hear you say "9 days" because this means I will possibly be able to see you. I hope. Things are good here in Spain; working hard as usual, and also having fun as usual. I was planning on walking from the hostel to the uni every day, but so far have failed in that. Still getting in lots of walking, but nothing in comparison to you! See you soon, Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The magnificent journey your Dad embarked on is so compelling, fun and inspirational... we can't keep away from it if we wanted to!
    I am grateful we reconnected as well- you and your family were so very important to us and instrumental in helping us through our many hardships... we're lucky we had YOU!! Not to mention it was YOUR house in 1986, on Paul's birthday, that Cody and I met... and look how that turned out!?! :) It was a shame to lose the connection for a while but, WE'RE BACK!
    Btw, we absolutely consider you our honorary sister! We so looked forward to seeing you every summer and playing until the late summer sun would finally call it a night! ;)
    Love you lots & lots, Anne!
    ~Jeni

    ReplyDelete